Monday, May 30, 2011

jobless and wondering

So it's May 30th.  I've been home 20 days now.  That's 20 days of my summer vacation gone and what have I done with that time?  I've spent time with good friends that I will not see for the majority of the summer.  I got to see Josh Groban in concert which was absolutely amazing.  I've babysat once and have a couple more one time gigs like that lined up.  But I still don't have a real job, so I have no way of making a substantial amount of money which I will need when I am (hopefully) studying abroad next spring.  I know I could be doing more to find a job, but it just seems to me like nobody else I know had to work that hard to get their job.  They are all either doing the same thing they have for years now or have a family connection or something just fell into place, right place right time, knew the right people, whatever.  I haven't heard about anyone else filling out stacks of applications for wherever happens to be hiring at the time regardless of whether they actually want to work there or not.  They don't have their mother breathing down their neck to get a job and not be such a bum, a waste of space.  I don't want to sit around doing nothing all summer while everyone else I know is making money and getting work experience.  But I also don't want to be stuck in some job that I hate, working the opposite hours of all my friends so that I don't even see the ones that will be here this summer.  If I wanted that I would go back to chuck e. cheese.  My mom would probably like that, it's a threat I've heard more than once actually.  But just the thought of going back there makes me sick and I really have no plans of ever stepping foot inside that building again.  So here I am, jobless and wondering.  Wondering what am I doing with my life and where do I go from here?  Wondering what will the rest of this summer bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment