Monday, April 25, 2011

an easter weekend full of fun

Easter break started wednesday afternoon when my parents arrived at Benedictine and we packed up the car to head home.  I knew I was close to home when we could finally pick up the cubs game on the radio and it was so much fun listening to pat an keith, hearing the cubs win one and then lose the makeup game that was postponed due to weather tuesday.  I even got to watch a game on saturday I believe it was.  I had a nice chat with my brother and watched tv for the first time in a long time to round off the evening.

Then it was Holy Thursday and I went out to lunch with my grandma at Monicals, which I miss so so much when I am at school, and then we went back to her house to decorate easter cookies.  They turned out pretty good if I do say so myself and it was soooo hard not to eat any in the process.  By the time we were done it was almost time for mass and hurried home to change in something not covered in frosting and sprinkles.  Mass was really nice and it was great to see all the lovely lifeteen people and my bff Julie.  After mass was trip to steaknshake #1 with all the adoration hoppers.  We travelled around to adoration at all of the local parishes, saying a decade of the rosary at each church.  I started out the evening with Jim and the lifeteen group but then stayed with Julie and we fell a little behind the others, due in part to us hanging around old St. Pat's for a series of prayers for priests which was pretty cool and also because of Julie's great driving skills.  You know how there are lots of one way streets over by trinity, st. mary's, and old st. pat's...yeah enough said.  Once we had made our rounds we went back to Julie's house where we were joined by Joey and his people as I will likely refer to them, also known as his friends from benedictine, and the meyers.  They all ate delicious brownies while I was super jealous and then we played a rather ridiculous game called quelf.  I don't think this is a game that words can adequately describe.  After that it was time to get home and try to rest up for another busy day.

On good friday I had my meal at noodles with the family and then went to the mall to get a new all in one wallet thing from the mole hole because mine is really beat up and dirty and my mom had a $5 off coupon.  Then I got my hair cut and straightened, which was not good planning as it rained most of the day.  Katy got in about 45 minutes before good friday service started and she asked me when she was coming to pick me up and the two of us picked back up as if we had just seen each other yesterday.  It's kind of weird how it works.  There's not really any emotion, at least none that can be seen, in our greetings and goodbyes anymore.  I guess that's because we want it to feel like nothing has changed and that we still see each other regularly...and we do talk like every day.  But anyway we went over to epiphany together and sat up front behind Jim, Amanda, and Bob, one of those beautiful distractions that I have mentioned before.  It was weird not having a cross to venerate with a kiss but it was still a great service and it was good to see matthew again, even if it was just for a minute before mass.  Katy and I decided we would fast the rest of the evening and then go to steaknshake at midnight.  In the meantime we went to walmart to get a confirmation card for Dom and just roam around one of our favorite hangouts.  Then we made a trip to family video where we picked out two of the worst and most pointless movies ever.  After talking to Bryn and Brett for awhile we got most of the way through one of the movies before deciding the movie was too bad and we were too hungry to finish it.  So we met up with joey and his people, megan and her bf, maggie and steve, and even ob out past his bedtime and julie with what was potentially pink eye at steaknshake.  And I think there might have been other people there as well so I'm sorry to whoever I forgot to mention, if there was anyone.  But anyway it was just like old times, tons of people late at night, being crazy at what is basically our favorite place to be.  After that I got back home and finished the movie just to confirm it wasn't worth watching, it wasn't.

Holy Saturday started with going out to see my dad's mom and step dad out at the their concessions thing that we just refer to as "the lake."  We had some good food and my parents chatted for quite awhile as usual and we watched the beginning of the cubs game.  Then it was home to another familiar scene, laying on the couch in the living room with my dad watching the game while my mom ironed.  They had a great comeback win and the bulls also came close to a comeback victory in their playoff game.  Then it was time to get ready for mass and have dinner.  I had tortellini from Avanti's which was delicious as always.  After that Katy picked me up and we headed over to Joey's because he was going to drive us to peoria for Easter vigil mass.  We got there and the boys were still not ready leaving us to regret not going back for my camera.  I forgot it on all occasions which was very sad as there were many picture opportunities over the weekend.  But we finally got on the road and made it to peoria with time to spare. We got seats with the newman center people and had a great time enjoying a truly beautiful mass with the bishop and seeing our good friends enter the catholic church.  It was so awesome.  I loved the quote from St. Augustine that the priest used in his homily.  "We are an easter people and alleluia is our song." Love it!  After some mingling and catching up after mass we returned to normal for steaknshake trip #3.  This time I finally got a milkshake.  I had the new m&m shake which I definitely would recommend, sooo good!  It was also the biggest group we have ever had at steaknshake I think, which means it was a lot of people.  It was a pretty impressive looking table actually.  Then Katy and I went back to my house to watch the other movie which was even worse than the first I think.  Katy slept through most of it so I think we know how she felt.  Though I suppose it was after 1:30 in the morning...

Before long it was Easter Sunday and I woke up to a basket of chocolate and the final pieces of my disney princess dvd collection, Cinderella and Aladdin.  Then it was off to Grandma's house for Easter breakfast and the annual easter egg hunt.  Each year I think back to the days when it was just me and Brett and I remember watching the adult easter egg hunt.  Now that was entertaining.  My basket there got me some more yummy chocolate and part 1 of the 7th harry potter movie.  The only downer was that I was really not feeling very well, a sore throat and full head, and was therefore not very pleasant to be around.  Midway through the day it was back home to watch the cubs lose and then back to Grandma's for Easter dinner.  An abundance of food an no appetite for me due to chocolate overload as usual so I mad a meal of some rolls that were really good.  I don't even think I had any of the ice cream cake now that I think about it...  Oh well.  The evening ended with watching a video of one of Arden's dance competitions.  She is really good for a little thing of 10 years old.  I can't wait for her recital in June.  When we got home I talked my parents into watching Harry Potter and we even got Brett to join us.  They said it wasn't very good, too choppy and too many places where they had to pause and have me explain what was actually happening because the movie didn't go into very much detail.  It really made me want to read the 7th book again but there is no time for that right now.  Fell asleep watching some TLC special about Charles and Diana and woke up very confuse at 3am to some infomercial about a blender or something like that.

I didn't wake up again until Katy's phone call at 10am after her public speaking class.  That made me finally get up and showered and packed before our drive back to Atchison.  We went to Monical's for lunch and then we were on the road.  Got to Atchison around 7:45 I think and had dinner at pizza hut before stopping at cvs for milk.  Then it was back to my room and unpacking and saying goodbye for 15 days.  Just 15 days til I am home again.  I can't wait.  Too bad there is an 8 page spanish paper and finals standing in my way.  Pray for me that I can get all of my work done and have a strong finish to the semester.

Oh and here's a song that I love and had stuck in my head all weekend.  A great easter tune!




No comments:

Post a Comment