Sunday, February 13, 2011

An Authentic Life- don't tell me, show me!

Today was an absolutely beautiful day in Atchison.  It got up over 50- in February!  So this afternoon I decided to walk up to the grotto and sit there for awhile, enjoying the sunshine and the peace that comes with being in a place that is dedicated to Mary.  While I was there, I read a little more of Rediscovering Catholicism by Matthew Kelly.  This is such a good read. I have only read 13 pages, but it has all been so inspiring that I can only read a few paragraphs before having to stop and think about and meditate on what I just read.  Today what really spoke to me was the section titled, The Cry for Help.  It talked about how non-Christians and non-practicing Christians are sending us a cry for help, a message that says "don't tell me, show me!"  It really made me think.  Am I telling people what they should be doing with their life, and judging them went they don't make good decisions, but then not living out the Catholic faith myself?  I think maybe I finally got the push I needed to start really striving to thrive as Kelly puts it and not simply trying to survive.  I want to live an authentic life that shows people why they should believe and follow Christ.  I want everyone to look at me and see a peace and contentment that comes from putting into practice all of the teachings of the Catholic Church.  I want them to see the joy that comes with following God's will and becoming the person He wants you to be.  That's the ultimate goal, a goal that will take a lifetime to fulfill.  My concrete resolution for tomorrow?  To spend at least 10 minutes at the grotto tomorrow afternoon.

Words that spoke to me, a song by Britt Nicole, while I wrote this post:

You look around
It's staring back at you
Another wave of doubt
Will it pull you under
You wonder

What if I'm overtaken
What if I never make it
What if no one's there?
Will you hear my prayer?

When you take that first step
Into the unknown
You know that he won't let you go

Chorus:

So what are you waiting for?
What do you have to lose?
Your insecurities try to hold to you

You know you're made for more
So don't be afraid to move
Your faith is all
It takes and you can
Walk on the water too

So get out
And let
Your fear fall to the ground
No time to waste
Don't wait
Don't you turn around and miss out
Everything you were made for
I know you're not sure
So you play it safe
Try to run away

If you take that first step
Into the unknown
He won't let you go





No comments:

Post a Comment