Sunday, February 27, 2011

mass inspiration

What? Two posts in one day? Craziness...

So I went to mass at 8 and I absolutely love the gospel reading for this the 8th week in ordinary time.  Apparently this is the first time since 1996 that we have heard this set of readings.  With the way lent and easter fall sometimes the 8th week in ordinary time gets skipped.  Fun facts from the prior.

He also told us this cool story about a german mystic, Tauler I think it was.  I'm butchering this story but I had to write about it because it was so cool and I don't want to forget it.  So this Tauler saw a beggar and was like I pray that God gives you a good day, or something along those lines anyway.  And the beggar replied that he has been blessed not to have any bad ones.  He said that he thanks God for the days he has plenty and the days he was hungry, the days that are fine and the days when it rains.  He said that his will was the Lord's will and whatever pleased the Lord pleased him, so why should he be unhappy?  And then the man asked the beggar who are you?  And the beggar said that he was a king.  So Tauler asked where his kingdom was and the man said that his kingdom was in his heart.

So this was all relating to one of my favorite readings from the gospel of matthew 6:24-34 about not worrying because God knows our needs and he will provide.  I think it's pretty cool.  And I always remember it as one of the readings we did with the 6th graders in the edge to try and show them what lectio divina was.  We read this passage and they were supposed to meditate on it and then we would talk about what stood out them and what importance it might have for their lives.  I was a fan of that week as a lot of the girls that didn't necessarily talk much really opened up and shared some cool thoughts.

That's all.  Just wanted to remember the moment.

hasta luego amigos

No comments:

Post a Comment